Portfolio link

Illustration portfolio can be found at http://bit.ly/benerator

Thursday, June 2, 2011

#trust30 post#3: One Strong Belief...

From the writing prompt:
The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
-----------------
I don't know that I have any really strong beliefs that I don't also share with those close to me, but I know that there is one belief I really want to embrace, but which I find difficult to reconcile with what's been ingrained in me-- that it's alright to fail.

I've read a number of creativity blogs and articles that expound this notion. They talk about how it's part of the learning process, that in order to ultimately succeed, you have to be prepared to fail over and over again. "Fail early, and fail often."

And on the surface it makes a lot of sense, but deep down, there's that seemingly instinctual... fear. Fear that failing will mean missing out on my only chance to get it right. Fear that failing will mean I'll be looked down upon, considered a lesser person because of it.

It's scary. But it's a fear worth overcoming, because I know that, being willing to accept failure as part of my process... it'll make me a better artist, and a better person. That's a big idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment