Can you remember a moment in your life when you had life in yourself and it was wholly strange and new? Can you remember the moment when you stopped walking a path of someone else, and started cutting your own?
Write about that moment. And if you haven’t experienced it yet, let the miracle play out in your mind’s eye and write about that moment in your future.-----------------------------
I think the paradigm shift that really changed everything for me was the day I first registered for classes in high school. I didn't know if it was like this at other high schools, but at Lane Tech there were program tracks, areas of concentration for students to major in, from Math and Science, to Music and Commercial Art-- *cue record scratch sound* Waaaaitaminute, Commercial Art? I'd been drawing since I was a kid, but it for some reason it hadn't really occurred to me until just that moment that I could actually get paid to draw. SIGN ME UP.
I don't know what I was thinking beforehand, that maybe comic books were just created for the fun of it? Perhaps art for Christmas cards and cereal boxes and album covers just sort of appeared? I guess I had never really given it much thought until just then. From that point onward the seed had been planted, that I would make art the backbone of my career... and I have to say that I've been pretty fortunate, for the most part that has remained a constant.
No comments:
Post a Comment