Portfolio link

Illustration portfolio can be found at http://bit.ly/benerator

Monday, December 15, 2014

Nerd Year's Eve ad

A new Geek Bar Chicago illustration I created was for an event entitled "Nerd Year's Eve" (tickets still available!). The project as described "should focus on dressing up in your fanciest geeky outfit possible, and the open beer, wine, and appetizers."

I drew up a thumbnail in Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile on my Galaxy Note II, depicting Elsa from Frozen sharing a toast with a Next Gen-style Klingon while Darth Vader looks on, and Batman chats it up with a lady in a Dalek dress in the background:


I took the thumbnail into Mischief, and created a clean line art version. Knowing the ad was also intended for use in printing, Mischief was perfect for the job; being vector-based, I could size the image as big as I wanted without any issues with pixellization. It's a beautiful thing.

I then took the image into Photoshop to do the coloring. I could have done it in Mischief, but the program currently lacks a lasso tool, which I usually depend on for shading (the developer said a lasso tool is in the works, so I'm looking forward to that implementation). I opted to go with a monochromatic palette for ease of rendering, since this piece required a quick turnaround time. I shaded it in grayscale, then used a gradient mask adjustment layer to colorize it.

Another fun one, with an easy-to-manage production flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment