Portfolio link

Illustration portfolio can be found at http://bit.ly/benerator

Monday, December 15, 2014

Hogwarts Holiday Feast ad

I've been helping to create some promotional images for a local business, Geek Bar Chicago. It's a restaurant that caters to geekdom of all shapes and sizes, and I thought creating some illustrations for them would be a nice way to contribute to their cause. They've been mostly cartoony-style pieces, for use as web ads and flyers, and have been really fun to make.

My first illustration for them was an ad for their Harry Potter-themed "Hogwarts Holiday Feast" event. The visual suggested was "a single frame illustration of some wizards in Geek Bar, sipping drinks and being festive, with the event details all to the righthand side of the image." Here are some ridiculously rough thumbnail sketches I whipped up (messy, I know):


Depicting two angles of the bar, with different framing devices for the info text. The target resolution for the finished piece was supposed to be 1200x628, so I opted to go with the camera angle from the second sketch, since the focus was tighter. We chose the scrollwork as the better option for the info background.

I'd been exploring a new vector painting program called Mischief that had just recently come out with a new update, and I thought this would be a good opportunity to test it out. I used it to digitally ink the artwork on a Cintiq, and I LOVED it. I'll talk more about the app in another blog entry.

Here's the finished illustration, inked in Mischief and colored in Photoshop:


All in all, a fun way to flex my design and cartooning muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment