Portfolio link

Illustration portfolio can be found at http://bit.ly/benerator

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ghost in the Shell Tachikoma, painted on the Nintendo 3DS


One of the unexpected drawbacks to painting with Colors! 3D is that it's almost too much fun. I was working on this illustration last night and really got into it, and when I'd finished I looked at the clock and it was 1:30 in the morning...

I was feeling kind of nostalgic about my old anime fanart days, and I happened to have a little Tachikoma toy sitting on my desk, so I decided to mess around with the photo background feature in Colors! 3D. I snapped a pic from within the program using one of the three (fairly low-res) cameras on the 3DS, and was able to use it to trace over.


And then, using the five layers the app provides, I was able to build a cel-style illustration. I'd have lineart, base color and shading on separate layers, and then merge them. I found that some of ctrlpaint.com's (originally Photoshop-based) layer techniques applied very well, like roughly dropping in color and then erasing what I didn't need before merging.

3D .MPO file

I don't work in cel-style all that much anymore, but I know there are a bunch of users on the Colors! Gallery that do, and I think they're going to love being able to use layers to create their art.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, but I prefer without the 3D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm inclined to agree, this image is stronger as a 2D image vs. 3D. Cel-style doesn't seem to lend itself as well to 3D, except perhaps in cases where you're talking about a full character on one layer and a background on the other.

      Delete