I got on the bus this morning and down the aisle from me sat this elderly Asian man with a cane propped over his lap. Unfortunately someone was between us along my line-of-sight, so I could only see his head, hands, and knees. At first I thought to let it go as a missed opportunity, but it was just too good to pass up-- senior citizens often make good subjects to draw; their limbs tend to fall into dynamic angles, their clothes will drape over their forms in interesting ways. So I started to draw the man, and no sooner than the moment I put pen to paper, the person between us stood up and got off the bus. Yes! It then became a race against time, before someone sat between us again, the old man reached his stop, or I reached mine. I sat there scribbling away, juking my head back and forth trying to see around seats and bus poles. I imagine it looked rather silly, like a pigeon scanning a sidewalk for discarded Cheetos. Thankfully, I had just enough time to get the fellow down on paper...
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment